Planning for Retirement
Course Number: ABA
Course Code: ABA
Describes the steps in the retirement planning process, including strategies to accumulate, and then decumulate, retirement funds. Describes the beneficiary options available and ways to distribute benefits for qualified plans and IRAs. Outlines the requirements for qualifying for the marital deduction, and how to fund a credit shelter trust with proceeds from a qualified plan or IRA. Describes how pecuniary bequests to charities should be funded, and the use of charitable remainder trusts as the designated beneficiary of a qualified plan or IRA.
What You’ll Learn
After completing this course, students will be able to:
- Describe the retirement planning process
- Analyze the tax consequences and distribution options when retirement plan benefits are payable to a trust
- Explain how retirement benefits are coordinated with the estate plan
- Examine the issues about retirement plan benefits payable to a credit shelter or marital trust
- Describe charitable gift opportunities for retirement plan balances
Audience: Trust officers with at least three years of personal trust experience who need a deeper understanding of technical trust concepts and how solutions work when applied to client needs.